The Future Leader Program is a graduate medical education professional development program designed to recognize high potential physicians-in-training committed to high value practice and advance their understanding of how to lead value-related performance improvement, with carefully selected didactics, leadership development and direct mentoring from 7 faculty champions who represent academic medical centers leading high value care.
Participants gain an understanding of the process required for successful value-related quality improvement implementation, including cross-specialty collaboration, patient education and engagement in decision making, evidence-based provider educational campaigns, carefully designed clinical decision support, provider-level feedback reports, overcoming implementation barriers, and evaluating quality and safety outcomes. An understanding of the importance of implementation and outcomes research is enhanced by participation in the annual national conference, with registration fee waived. There is no cost to participate in the program, and a certificate is issued upon completion of all requirements.
- Complete Online application and PD attestation forms below from training program director and institutional mentor
- Complete educational curriculum that incorporates interactive online modules by Christopher Moriates, MD, Associate Dean for Healthcare Value, Dell Medical School and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Participate in monthly HVPA conference calls, held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 3PM EST, which include an educational presentation by a faculty leader in high value care followed by interactive discussion of the topic.
- Lead a value-related Q/I project within their institution under designated faculty mentor at home institution and collaborate as part of a HVPA FLP Q/I teams under the guidance of one of the FLP Directors.
- Participate in the HVPA National Conference (tuition waived).
- Training Program Director attestation that the trainee is permitted to engage in the program activities, and Project Mentor confirmation that the trainee is leading a value related project.
- Applications due May 1, 2023 by 23:59
- Acceptance notifications sent June 15, 2023
- Program begins July 5, 2023
- HVPA national conference October 12-14, 2023
- Program ends June 30, 2024
Questions? Email HVPAAFLP@gmail.com
Future Leader Program Directors
Remus Popa, MD
Executive Director, HVPA Educational Advisory Board
Core Faculty RCH/UCR IM Residency Program
Professor of Medicine, University of California Riverside
Venkata (Giri) Andukuri, MD
Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Lead for Graduate Medical Education
Assistant Professor of Hospital Medicine, Creighton University School of Medicine
Robert Fogerty, MD
Co-Director, Internal Medicine Quality Improvement & Physician Leadership Distinction
Associate Professor, Yale School of Medicine
Kencee Graves, MD
Associate Chief Medical Quality Officer
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine
Priya N. Jain, MD
Attending Physician, Pediatric Hospital Medicine
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore/Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Christopher King, MD
Hospitalized Adult Care Block Director and Hospital Medicine Sub-Internship Director
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine
Gregory Ruhnke, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Chicago Medicine
Kshitij Thakur, MD
Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky
INVITED MENTORS FOR 2020-2023
Olga Karasik, MD, FACP
Associate Program Director, UCF/HCA Internal Medicine Residency
Faculty, Osceola Regional Medical Center
Ryan Murphy MD
Assistant Professor Division of General Internal Medicine
University of Utah Hospital
Preetham Talari MD
Associate Safety Officer UK Healthcare
Associate Professor of Medicine
University of Kentucky