Monthly conference calls feature educational presentations by faculty from different institutions, to guide implementation of value improvement projects. Recordings are made available to HVPAA members.
2019 Webinar Presentations
- January 16: National Conference Planning
- February 20: Guest Speaker, economist David Gaines
- March 20: Pediatric high value care
- April 17: Tony Breu ~ TWDFNR: Treating Hypertensive Urgency
- May 15: Dr. Amber Inofuentes from UVA speaking on “Individualized Care Plans: An Evolving Approach to High Hospital Utilizers”
- June 19: Mustapha Saheed and Shayam Odetti, Evidence based guidelines for high value emergency medicine
- July – No webinar. Future Leaders initiation.
- August: Conference planning.
- September – Valerie Vaughn, antibiotic stewardship at discharge based on recent Michigan pneumonia article
- October—High-Value Care in Inpatient Gastroenterology, Gregg Brennan, University of California Irvine
- November – No webinar. National Conference
- December – Amy Lu from Stanford and Alison Bartlett & team from U Chicago to speak about pathways
2018 Webinar Presentations
- January 17: Guest Speaker- Chris Moriates, MD
- February 21: Innovative Educational Curricula- NYU, Hopkins & Crozer Chester
- March 21: Optimizing vascular access- NYU, UTSW, Michigan, UT San Antonio
- April 18: Managing Incidental Findings on Imaging- HVPAA Rad Collaborative
- May 16: Reducing daily labs- Implementation Guide Team
- June 20: Enhanced Recovery After Surgery pathways- Michael Grant, MD, PhD
- July 18: Future Leader Program Introductory Meeting
- August 15th: Reducing unnecessary sedatives (benzodiazepines and sedative-hypnotics) Christine Soong, MD, University of Toronto
- September 19th: Holiday.
- October 17: Reducing unnecessary proton pump inhibitors: UTSW, NYU and Sinai
- November 21: Sepsis – improving diagnosis and management, Kencee Graves, MD, ACMQO, University of Utah
- December 19: Pediatric high value care
2017 Webinar Presentations
- May 17: Cardiac biomarker testing for suspected ACS Jeff Trost, MD
- June 21: Best Practice for Transfusions (trigger & number of units) Steven M Frank, M.D. & Transfusion Guide Team
- July 19: C Difficile (avoiding over-testing & over-treating) Clare Rock, M.B.B.Ch and C Difficile Guide Team
- August 16: High value body CT for the ordering provider: patient and protocol selection Pamela Johnson, MD
- Recommended Reading: ACR R-Scan resources
- September 20: Achieving perfect practice for VTE thromboprophylaxis Brandyn Lau, MPH
- October 18: AHRQ Safety Program for Improving Antibiotic Use and topics in antibiotic stewardship: Pranita D Tamma, M.D. & Sara Keller, MD, MPH, MSP
- November 15: Preoperative testing Jerry Stonemetz, MD, Carol Peden, MB ChB, MD, MPH, Alan Curle, MD and the Preop Testing IG Team
- Recommended reading: Routine Preoperative Laboratory Tests for Elective Surgery
FREE ONLINE RESOURCES
MAVEN: Movement to Accelerate Value Education Nationally. A free online 4 year curriculum to integrate principles and practice of high value care into medical school education.
Discovering value based healthcare: interactive modules Interactive Learning Modules from Chris Moriates, Associate Dean for Healthcare Value, Dell Medical School. Provide free CME credit!
One Minute Guides (OMG), a series of educational summaries from Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine High Value Care Committee
HIGH VALUE LITERATURE
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT CONFERENCES
As stated on their website, the American College of Medical Quality’s mission is to provide leadership and education in healthcare quality management. Visit their website to learn about educational resources and programs for medical personnel interested in quality improvement: https://acmq.org/education/
EQUIP: Excellence in QI certificate program. University of Toronto is offering an Excellence in Quality Improvement Certificate Program (EQUIP) for trainees and faculty interested in an advanced QI training course with a focus on an academic QI career path. Visit their website for more information: https://www.cpd.utoronto.ca/equip