Congratulations to the 2nd class of HVPAA Future Leaders as they graduate the program June 30th, 2019! These 52 trainees from 42 academic medical centers designed commendable value-based quality improvement projects that they will direct in their medical center under local mentorship, while participating in a year long, immersive skill building and leadership program.
The Future Leaders Program (FLP) is designed to recognize high potential physicians-in-training committed to high value practice and advance their understanding of how to lead value-related quality improvement, with carefully selected didactics, leadership development and direct mentoring from 6 faculty champions who represent academic medical centers leading high value care.
Participants gain an understanding of the process required for successful value-related quality improvement implementation, including cross-specialty collaboration, patient education and engagement in decision making, evidence-based provider educational campaigns, carefully designed clinical decision support, provider-level feedback reports, overcoming implementation barriers, and evaluating quality and safety outcomes. An understanding of the importance of implementation and outcomes research is enhanced by participation in the annual national conference, with registration fee waived. There is no cost to participate in the program, and a certificate is issued upon completion of all requirements.
- Complete online application, including signed form from training program director and institutional mentor
- Complete educational curriculum that incorporates interactive online modules by Christopher Moriates, MD, Associate Dean for Healthcare Value, Dell Medical School and the Institute for Healthcare Improvement
- Participate in monthly HVPAA conference calls, held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 3PM EST, which include an educational presentation by a faculty leader in high value care followed by interactive discussion of the topic.
- Lead a value-related Q/I project within their institution under designated faculty mentor at home institution and collaborate as part of a HVPAA FLP Q/I teams under the guidance of one of the FLP Directors.
- Attend HVPAA National Conference (tuition waived, clinical responsibilities permitting), November 15-17, 2019 in Baltimore, MD. Includes free admission to the “Order Wisely” educational pre-course on November 15, 2019.
- Training Program Director attestation that the trainee is permitted to engage in the program activities, and Project Mentor confirmation that the trainee is leading a value related project.
Residents and fellows may apply to participate in the HVPAA Future Leader Program, a free year-long professional development curriculum that includes attending the HVPAA national conference. Applications are due May 15th and notifications sent June 15th.
Questions? Email HVPAAFLP@gmail.com
Future Leader Program Directors
Remus Popa, MD
Executive Director, HVPAA Educational Advisory Board
Core Faculty RCH/UCR IM Residency Program
Professor of Medicine, University of California Riverside
Venkata (Giri) Andukuri, MD
Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Lead for Graduate Medical Education
Assistant Professor of Hospital Medicine, Creighton University School of Medicine
Robert Fogerty, MD
Co‐Director, Internal Medicine Quality Improvement & Physician Leadership Distinction
Associate Professor, Yale School of Medicine
Kencee Graves, MD
Associate Chief Medical Quality Officer
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine
Priya N. Jain, MD
Attending Physician, Pediatric Hospital Medicine
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore/Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Christopher King, MD
Hospitalized Adult Care Block Director and Hospital Medicine Sub‐Internship Director
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine
Greg Seymann, MD
Vice Chief Hospital Medicine
Health Sciences Clinical Professor, University of California San Diego
Kshitij Thakur, MD
Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky
Future Leader Program Directors: Giri Andukiri, MD; Kshitij Thakur, MD; Rob Fogerty, MD; Kencee Graves, MD; Chris King, MD; Remus Popa, MD
- Applications due May 15, 2019
- Acceptance notifications sent June 15, 2019
- Program begins July 1, 2019
- HVPAA national conference November 15-17, 2019
- Program ends June 30, 2020